SKOCH Award Nominee
Category: District Governance
Project: Mission Indradhanush
Start Date: 2017
Organisation: District Panchayat Ahmedabad
Respondent: Mr Arun Mahesh Babu, District Development Officer
Level: Club Plus
Voting has been closed for all exhibitions. Thank you for participating!
Mission Indradhanush was launched in December 2014 as a special drive to vaccinate all unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children. Between 2009-2013 immunisation coverage has increased from 61 per cent to 65 per cent, indicating only 1 per cent increase in coverage every year. To accelerate the process of immunisation by covering 5 per cent and more children every year, Mission Indradhanush adopted to achieve target of full coverage by 2020.
The project included:
- Capacity building of ASHAs and health workers in head count survey and interpersonal
- communication conducted during MI rounds will help in improving / sustaining routine immunisation coverage as well.
- Support supervision mechanism implemented in MI was instrumental in achieving success in MI
- Similar supervision mechanism is now instigated for routine immunisation as well.
- Increase knowledge of importance of completed vaccination among migratory areas laborers will ensure achievement of complete vaccination status of their children.
- Not only vaccination, but other reproductive and child health, communicable and non-communicable diseases prevention programmes are also delivered to these underserved areas.
- Due to increase complete vaccination rate in these underserved and hard to reach areas through MI, not a single outbreak of Measles was reported during this period.
- 80 per cent of these MI areas were systematically incorporated in routine immunisation micro-plan
- BETI (Begin Esteemed Transgender’s Involvement) project
- In BETI project, transgenders were involved to increase awareness among community regarding immunisation
- All transgenders of Ahmedabad district were given a “SHUCHI PATRAK” in attractive package along with the “BetiBachao” message. This Suchipatrak has information about the schedule / duration of the vaccines.
- Key message “Panchsaalsaatvaar” – 7 visit upto 5 years to completely vaccinate a child was also given by transgender
- Most areas identified during Mission Indradhanush like brick kilns and industries were hard to reach, very scattered and difficulty to find on most map. So, a geotagging of all these sites was done in “Google my map” app in last phase in 2018 and 2020 ( 3 phases)
- This information is uploaded in Google my map and shared with all stakeholders
- It was very helpful for health worker for reaching all the high risk areas. Supervisors and MOs were also use them for effective supervision and to ensure all high risk areas were visited
- Puppet show (Saptdhara) was organised in areas having resistant to immunisation to increase awareness of community
- A play using puppet mentioning importance of vaccination in preventing life threatening disease to child and managing minor side effect of vaccination was conducted
- Mission Indradhanush has helped in initiation of vaccination of left out children.
- 1,593 children age < 1 year and 130 children in age group of 1 to 2 years were vaccinated first time in life during MI campaigns. Most of those children migrated from either from other state like UP, Bihar, Rajasthan or MP or from other districts like Dahod, Banaskantha and Dang. (2017-18)
- Mission Indradhanush has also helped in completing vaccination of drop out children. 1950
- children have received Penta 3 and bOPV 3 doses. (2017-18)
- In total 3,457 children < 2 years were fully immunised (received BCG; bOPV1, 2 ,3; Penta
- 1,2,3 and Measles/MR 1st dose) and 2,019 children < 2 years were completely immunised (fully immunised children and received OPV and DPT booster doses and 2nd dose of Measles / MR)
- Mission Indradhanush has also helped in completing vaccination of drop out children
- As per SFHS 2019, Ahmedabad district has achieved full immunisation
For more information, please contact:
Dr Shilpa Yadav, Chief District Health Officer at email@example.com
(The content on the page is provided by the Exhibitor)