Odisha Universities Research And Innovation Incentivisation Plan (OURIIP) – Higher Education Department, Government Of Odisha
PG Research Fellowship Plan
- The HEIs could not cater to the needs of young postgraduates and entry-level faculties.
- Postgraduates often become frustrated due to wanting financial support
- Need for full-time fellowship, especially for female students.
- The young faculty remains inactive for years without support from the state or laboratory.
- Need for mentoring and inter-disciplinary interactions
- Providing fellowships to young scholars to help them become full-time researchers.
- Providing research incentives and culture to young faculty.
- Incentivizing and encouraging quality IP generation.
- Promoting multidisciplinary research and conducting project writing workshops on campus.
- Constituting a task force to deliberate upon the modalities of the OURIIP project
- Outbreak of pandemic during project implementation.
- To carry out fieldwork in social science subjects during the pandemic.
- Deficit of NET/LS-cleared candidates.
- For colleges, the transfer of faculty is a cause of concern.
- To identify deserving postgraduate students and young faculty.
- More than 60 Scopus papers and book chapters are published despite the pandemic.
- About 156 faculties are now under start-up funding.
- One AI/ML product is deployed by Tata Powers Co for grid fluctuation prediction.
- Provided a start-up seed grant to young faculty in all HEIs.
- Integrated research innovation in science, social science, and liberal arts on one platform.
SKOCH Award Nominee
Project: Odisha Universities Research And Innovation Incentivisation Plan (OURIIP)
Start Date: 2018-11-14
Organisation: Higher Education Department, Government Of Odisha
Respondent: Mr Birendra Korkora , Additional Secretary
Level: Premium Plus
PG Research Fellowship Plan
The DHE through its nodal agency, the OSHEC launched the OURIIP project on 14th November 2018. Since then, the OSHEC is working incessantly to ensure that the objectives of the OURIIP are met with utmost transparency.
The HEIs of most of the States of India usually suffer from financial crunch and therefore, are not able to cater to the needs of young postgraduates and entry-level faculties. Consequently, postgraduates often become frustrated due to wanting financial support to carry out research work leading to a Ph.D. degree.
The OURIIP project provides research fellowship, Seed funding for young faculty working in State-funded universities and colleges, support for publication-related expenses, facilitation in project formulation, and extended support for patent filing. A task force committee was constituted to deliberate upon the modalities of the OURIIP project. A core selection and review committee help in selecting and reviewing research schemes.
Today there is a vibrant research and innovation ecosystem in higher education in Odisha. About 156 faculty are now under start-up funding. Despite the pandemic, more than 60 Scopus papers and book chapters were published. Three patents are filed.
To carry out fieldwork in social science subjects during the pandemic was a challenging task. Also, there was a deficit of NET/LS-cleared candidates and for colleges, the transfer of faculty was a cause of concern.
The project incorporates competitive awards based on the proposal, mentorship, and periodic monitoring. The department prescribes a minimum standard of publishing in Scopus-Index journals and incorporates targeted workshops-cum-training on major project writing.
The department plans to increase the number of fellowships and expand start-up funding to general state-based faculty.
The nodal agency of the HED, the Odisha State Higher Education Council (OSHEC) has been managing the OURIIP project meticulously and professionally since 2019. The OSHEC also monitors and mentors all beneficiaries of this project through the annually organized Odisha Research Conclave.
For more information, please contact:
Mr Birendra Korkora , Additional Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
(The content on the page is provided by the Exhibitor)