Innovation Support Drive
- Absence of incubation/innovation centers across universities in the state
- Lack of support to develop Proof of Concept (PoC) from the ideas of students
- No support for innovations and early-stage startups
- Need for support in the Mind to Market journey
- Missing link in holistic innovation pre-startup and innovation ecos
- Promoted Gujarat Venture Fund Limited assistance scheme for start-ups & state-funded incubation facilities
- Developed an online portal to integrate stakeholders for monitoring each step
- Provided financial support up to 2.0 lakh for creating Proof of Concept
- Extended hand holding facility to universities for innovation and preincubation process
- Launched flagship programs like Hackathon, Start-up Sathi etc
- Lack of government’s ownership for the agenda of the programme
- Implementation of interventions like state’s assistance scheme for startups and innovations
- Development of innovations and early-stage startups from the ecosystem
- Existence of wide gap in the innovation development and preincubation phase
- Missing link is the holistic innovation pre-startup and innovation ecosystem development
- SSIP is a unique initiative and first among all the states in India for students
- Organized Student Open Innovation challenge for providing support at the state level
- Organized hackathon for students to give solutions to problems shared by GoG department and industries
- Supported startups to showcase ideas in exhibition, pitching and demo days
- Created a strong innovation-driven culture in the State’s higher education spectrum
- Helped 186 universities/institutes to establish incubation and innovation centers
- Around 6944 proof-of-concept projects were supported and around 1381 IPR filing was done
- 11,57,667 students were outreached during the period of SSIP
- Disbursement of INR. 24 Cr to grantees and INR. 16 Cr utilized by them
- Established Section-8 company Gujarat Student Startup and Innovation Hub
SKOCH Award Nominee
Category: Education – State Department
Sub-Category: secEducation – State Department
Project: Student Start-up and Innovation Policy
Start Date: 2017-01-11
Organisation: Gujarat Knowledge Society
Respondent: Mr Tushar Raval, Additional CEO
Innovation Support Drive
The Student Startup & Innovation Policy of Government of Gujarat developed an integrated, state-wide, university based innovation ecosystem to support innovations and ideas of young students and provide a conducive environment for optimum harnessing of their creative pursuit.
Prior to the launch of the programme, the state’s universities lacked incubation and innovation centers. There was also a dearth of assistance for developing Proof of Concept (PoC) from the ideas of the student and there was little funding for innovation and early-stage firms. There was a need for assistance in developing a high-quality pool of ideas and early-stage enterprises, as well as assistance in the Mind to Market journey.
Through the implementation, there was facilitation of Gujarat Venture Fund Limited which provided assistance schemes for start-ups & state-funded incubation facilities. There was development of an online portal to integrate stakeholders for monitoring each step. Financial support up to 2.0 lakh for creating Proof of Concept was provided. The hand holding facilities were extended to universities for innovation and preincubation. Flagship programs like Hackathon, Start-up Sathi etc were also started under it.
As a result of the initiative, 186 Universities/Institutes received grants, 6944 PoC received support, 1381 IPR were filed, and 11,57,667 students were reached during the SSIP period. INR 24 Crores was disbursed to grantees and more than INR 16 crores was utilized by grantees for PoC, IPR Support, Startup support ,mentoring and creating pre-incubation centers etc.
There were issues with the implementation of measures such as the state’s aid plan for entrepreneurs and innovations. While current support networks are well-positioned to assist startups obtain funding, there is a significant void in the innovation creation and preincubation phases. The establishment of a comprehensive innovation pre-startup and innovation ecosystem across academics and related stakeholders was a critical missing link.
The innovative aspects entailed creating a Student Open Innovation Challenge in order to provide assistance at the state level. The Hackathon was created to provide students a forum to contribute answers to challenges addressed by the GoG Department and industry. Startups and innovators were provided assistance in showcasing their ideas via exhibitions, pitching events, and demo days.
In SSIP 2.0, there will be creation of an innovation and start-up ecosystem at all educational levels. Support will be offered to all academic streams for the creation of PoC/prototype/product, as well as assistance with IPR and filing support.
The initiative fostered an innovation ecosystem in the state to solve the issue of skill development of educated youth, allowing them to launch a new startup and integrate innovation. Through this policy, innovation and preincubation support across the state in academia became inclusive of sectors, space and other aspects.
For more information, please contact:
Mr Tushar Raval, Additional CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org
(The content on the page is provided by the Exhibitor)